We are deep into the Fall season now across the United States. While some of outdoor pickleball is coming to an end to the north, things are just heating up down south! In today's edition of Tournament Towns, we will be focusing on The Lucy Kitcher Presents PicklePlex Gamma Grand Slam in Punta Gorda, FL. While Punta Gorda is on of the best places in the U.S. to play pickleball, there is still plenty more to do!
This year’s Gamma Grand Slam is played at the PicklePlex in Punta Gorda, Florida. This tournament is scheduled for Saturday, 11/21/20 through Monday, 11/23/20 and is a fully sanctioned event! However, if you are looking to explore the area here are some ideas on what to do!
This time of year is a great period to be in Florida with cooling temperatures and more predictable weather. However, they are still in the tail end of their annual Hurricane season. The average high temperature for this period is 80°. The average amount of precipitation is 0.40”/day.
Local Attractions near Punta Gorda, Florida
- Beaches: Of course, who can go to Florida for some pickleball and not get some sand between your toes?! Some of the United States best beaches are around a 1-hour drive from Punta Gorda. This includes Sanibel Island to the south and St Pete Beach to the north. These are rated the #2 and #3 best beach in Florida and #6 in the United States!
- Fisherman’s Village: Fisherman’s Village can fill a day or define an evening. With over 30 specialty boutiques and 8 different food options, this village is a great place for shopping, dining, and entertainment. A favorite among locals and tourists!
- Muscle Car City Museum: This museum is home to one of the largest collections of General Motors muscle cars in the nation! It also has a café so if you work up and appetite you can grab a quick bite.
- Fishing: If you are an angler, then there is an abundance of saltwater fishing in the area! No matter if you are looking for redfish, tarpon or something larger, there are many fishing guide services just waiting to help you land your next trophy fish!
- Sunset Cruises: Looking to see the ocean and relax at the same time? A sunset cruise may be just the thing for you! Regardless of if you are looking for a romantic night out or just looking for a new adventure, make sure to check these out!
Food & Dining Options
- The Blue Turtle Tavern & Raw Bar: If you are looking for a great place to have some seafood with a nice atmosphere, check out this place. This is one of the top-rated places in Punta Gorda with multiple 5 star reviews. With both indoor and outdoor seating options, you can make it a romantic date night or a relaxing evening with friends!
- Elena's South Restaurant: A small diner with a greek twist, Elena's South Restaurant is a great option for breakfast and lunch, as they are only opened from 7am-3pm! As many diners, they have a variety of options from omelets, to french toast, and sandwiches. With many affordable options and family friendly environment, this is a great, quick option for all. Elena's is known for good eats, good prices and great customer service!
- Peace River Seafood: Peace River Seafood has been voted Harbor's Hottest Best Fresh Seafood and is known from same day caught seafood. From steamed Blue Crab to Fried Mullet, they have plenty of options to satisfy your seafood cravings! However, if you'd rather cook your seafood elsewhere, they also have a marketing with options to take with you.
If you're playing close to Dallas, Texas, make sure to check out JT's first blog in the Tournament Towns by clicking here.